Tuna and Avocado Mediterranean Salad
There are so many nutrients in this “let’s get ready for spring” salad that they can’t even all be listed here. Those most essential maximize anti-inflammatory benefits and are in the main salad ingredients (but the vinaigrette has benefits too, so be sure to use the dressing recipe):
- Nutrients in Tuna include omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin D and the antioxidant selenium, all making it a good choice for anti-inflammatory benefits. When selecting fish to use, minimizing contaminants like mercury is equally important to prevent inflammation, so opt for a “light” canned tuna.
- Nuts are high in “healthy” fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats) as well as omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Avocados are a great source of healthy monounsaturated fat and antioxidants, which can dampen your body’s inflammatory response. In fact, the anti-inflammatory properties of avocados are so strong they may actually offset less healthy food choices.
- Functional foods such as eggs contain a variety of essential nutrients and vital components including egg proteins, phospholipids, lutein and zeaxanthin that curb inflammation. The vitamin D present in the eggs modulates the inflammatory response in rheumatoid arthritis. Consuming eggs can affect people differently and can even, under certain circumstances, can be pro-inflammatory, often due to high level of omega 6. If there is concern, to ensure enough omega 3 is consumed, eating four omega 3s to every one omega 6 is the adequate ratio.
- Bell peppers, particularly the bright-red ones, are high in antioxidants and low in starch. Similar to spicy peppers, sweet bell peppers contain the chemical compound capsaicin, which is known to help reduce inflammation and even pain.
2 cans tuna, drained
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
1/2 cup peppadews diced
1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
Sundried tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons capers
1/4 cup feta cheese
2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
1/2 avocado, diced
1/2 cup almonds (or nuts of your choosing)
Pinch of fine sea salt
Pinch of black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch fine salt
Pinch black pepper
- In a large bowl combine all salad ingredients together and toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over ingredients and toss to combine.
- Taste and add spices to taste.