A healthy breakfast is a great way to start any day, and a hearty breakfast dish with anti-inflammatory health benefits is the perfect start to the weekend. This vegetable medley provides antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and a host of other health benefits, and is filled with colorful, bright and delicious vegetables and ingredients:
- Zucchini contains mineral manganese and Vitamin C to provide antioxidants.
- Omega3 fatty acids in the seeds provide anti-inflammatory benefits and are notable for the gastro-intestinal tract and cardio-vascular system.
- The rich nutrients in the tomatoes fight against inflammation, and are high in phytochemical lycopene, which is a type of carotenoid with antioxidant properties. They are also a good source of Vitamin C. Together, these nutrients can increase antioxidant activity, reduce inflammation, and lower cholesterol.
- Feta cheese is high in Vitamin B6 which when combined with histidine, a protein found in feta, undergoes a process which it becomes histamine, a compound that provides anti-inflammatory benefits. In addition, feta cheese also contains probiotics, which helps the immune system fight infection and disease.
- Basil leaves contain essential oils including eugenol, citronellol and linalool, which help lower inflammation through their enzyme inhibiting properties. The anti-inflammatory properties of basil may help lower risk of heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel conditions.
¼ cup zucchini, chopped
¼ small avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons onion, diced
¼ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
½ an ear of corn (kernels removed and cob discarded)
2 tablespoons chopped basil
3 large egg whites
1 tablespoon feta cheese
1 tablespoon water
Pinch black pepper
Olive oil spray
Spray a small non-stick skillet with olive oil and heat on low. Add zucchini and onion and cook, stirring until onion is soft.
In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, corn kernels and basil. Once zucchini mixture is cooked, remove from pan and into bowl with corn mixture.
Wipe the skillet clean, spray with oil again. Place back on low heat.
In another small bowl, whisk together egg whites, water and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the skillet and let cook until eggs are almost set.
Sprinkle corn mixture on half of the eggs. Top with feta cheese and fold eggs in half over vegetables and cheese. Continue cooking until eggs are fully set.
Carefully slide omelet from the pan onto a plate and top with sliced avocado.