(as of Jun 17,2021 07:53:51 UTC – Details)
Corydon was founded at the population center of the Indiana Territory. William Smith chose a ridge with a commanding view at the confluence of Big and Little Indian Creeks for his home and was comfortably settled around 1800. Territorial governor William Henry Harrison was a frequent guest, giving his name to the county that was later established. Corydon eclipsed Clarksville to become the territorial capital when the Illinois Territory was cut away in 1813, leaving the previous capital at Vincennes on the extreme western boundary of the Indiana Territory. Indiana became the 19th state on December 11, 1816. In 1827, William Holmes McGuffey (of McGuffey’s Readers fame) recommended William Porter for headmaster of the Corydon Seminary. Porter went on to become a judge and bought the Gov. William Hendricks residence. Porter’s daughter Helen married Patrick Griffin and raised her family in the house where she had been born. Maurice Griffin raised his family on the square, where his son Frederick Porter Griffin resided until arranging for the Hendricks house to become part of the Corydon Capitol State Historic Site. The Porter-Griffin family photographs, now housed in the Frederick Porter Griffin Center, made this book possible.